All weekly classes on the yoga-tastic timetable are Vinyasa yoga in style. This is a flowing, dance like type of yoga in which students coordinate movement with breath - to flow from one pose to the next. The translation of Vinyasa from Sanskrit is ‘to place in a special way’. In this type of yoga, for each movement, there is a breath. For example, if you’re lifting your arm, the rate of the breath and the rate of the movement is synchronised. So it’s an even and smooth inhalation co-ordinated with an even and smooth lifting of the arm. This is the same principle for warm-ups, sun salutations or for more challenging and creative sequences. This way of practicing is all about the breath - it helps focus the mind so it resides in the present moment.
Benefits of Vinyasa Style of Yoga
- Gently warms muscles and lubricates joints before moving into more challenging poses
- Builds strength and flexibility in the whole body
- Encourages a deep connection to the breath throughout the whole practice
- The strong focus on moving with the breath encourages students to be in the here and now
- The practice eventually becomes a moving meditation
- Excellent preparation for relaxation, breathing techniques and meditation
To join a Vinyasa yoga class in Ealing W5, Northfields or West Ealing W13 click here.
Victoria also teaches Gentle and Restorative Yoga, which is a very different type of yoga to vinyasa. This restorative style of yoga uses a series of static/still poses supported by bolsters, blankets and blocks with the effect of soothing the nervous system and nourishing the whole body.